The Purpose of Committee is to:
- Carry out the annual Market Inspection and make a formal report to the Town Council with any recommendations in agreement with the Market Superintendent
- advise and make recommendations to the Town Council on any matters affecting the Markets. To recommend to the Town Council appropriate budget provisions for the current and coming financial years for items within the committee’s remit.
- To exercise the powers delegated to the committee on behalf of the Town Council as set out below.
- To approve or comment upon actions taken and reported by the Market Superintendent /Clerk to the Council on Market matters.
- To work with the Market Superintendent, Deputy Superintendent and the Clerk to the Council to provide a well managed and cost effective Market.
- To work with the Market Traders and hold an Annual Traders meeting in March of each year alongside regular consultation (no less than 3 times a year).
- Market Superintendent to report where Traders contracts or market rules are not being observed and follow procedure for non compliance.